Sunday 20 November 2011

HTML Hunting in the Real World

First part of Challenge No 4 is to research the following HTML tags, div, blockquote, p, ol, ul, li, nav, menu, span, time, q, and img.

Take the easier things first. Lists. A list item is tagged (li) and the list itself can be either ordered (ol)) where the position of the items in the list is important, or unordered (ul), where it is not.



So, in this picture of a bookcase, (div) is the bookcase as a whole, each shelf is an unordered list (ul) of books or stopclocks. If the books were in alphabetical order, the list would be ordered (ol) and I would be a much sadder individual.

I guess the Radio, being a single item could just be an image (img) within the div ?

This task is taking me much longer than expected, mostly because I'm having to find out so many things apart from the HTML, like how to resize an image for Blogger. I expect it will get easier.

Some time ago, when I was learning Morse Code there were definite plateaux of learning. I would struggle with a speed of five words a minute for ages, then suddenly it clicked and I got it, in fact it seemed easy. There were several such plateaux before I got to the required speed (only 12 words per minute). It just takes lots of practice for it to sink in. But when it did... I found I was mentally translating everything I saw into dits and dahs. Signs, car number plates, book titles...

I hope I can begin to Mark Up in HTML after a while - at the moment its a bit of a struggle.

And there's a lesson I've learned. I really need to find out how to use quotes or blockquotes as my original post included all the HTML tags verbatim which played havoc with the layout! Half the post disappeared and the rest was all misaligned because it was trying to obey my listing instructions. I've replaced the arrow brackets with round ones which seems to work. This is a steep learning curve for me, but I shall definitely use Preview before publishing from now on!

7 comments: